Sunday, August 2, 2009

Totally Worth It

What...a weekend.

Pammypampamcakes, one of my absolute fave loves, was home in NJ this weekend and since I was going to Philly for the Billy Joel/Elton John concert, I figured "hey, why not drive to the Jersey shore and snuggle?"

Here are the things I did not think through:
geography
traffic
timing
road snacks
I never leave on time

So I might not have realized that her shore house was actually south of Philly or that everyone and their mother is going down the shore on Fridays or that there was a monsoon blowing through at the exact moment I would be driving...but nonetheless, I cranked some Taylor Swift jams on the ipod & hit the road. It took eight hours, but was totally worth it! I haven't seen Pam in almost three months, so the 17 hours of awkward I got to soak up was just marvelous.

I wasn't the Abraham's only guest on Friday night either...funny story: Pam has a cousin who is two years younger than us. When we were freshman at BC, he came to visit and Kief might have made out with him. He ended up attending BC and came to one of our parties senior year, when I might have hooked up with him. Oops. Know what makes an otherwise delicious salmon dinner take on a whole new level of uncomfortable? Meeting his mother and sitting next to her for two hours...The fact that Pam couldn't stop giggling didn't help either...Obviously Vicki had no idea who I was or what was so damn funny, but we got a good kick out of it.

After dinner P-cizzle took me to the boardwalk (Ocean City = dry town = old ppl + families) where we enjoyed the usual: elephant ears, ice cream, angsty teen agers, very necessary and reasonably price souveniers and the stink of the ocean. A game of skee ball cost a dollar, so I knew we were at a real tourist hot spot, even if the games didn't have a 100 pt slot. Whatevs. I got over it. Firday night was also the night that Pam & I discovered my new favorite show: Bridezillas. ohhhh sweet bippity. Bitches be crazy and I be loving it. Saturday morning was sunny and gorgeous, perfect for a few hours at the beach before I had to head to Philly.

I kept telling myself to exercise self control and not sing the Fresh Prince of Bel Air theme song as I crossed the bridege but since I was in the car alone...I let it go and belted out a few verses. I've never been to Philly and wish I could say this trip made me fall in love with the city, but it really only cemented my love for Billy. The rest of Philly kind of blew.

But.

Billy.

Ahhh Billy. What a drunken ridiculous amazing genius. The show was AMAZING. They sang/played for nearly three hours, played every song I wanted and only produced a bathroom like that made me wait for thirty mintes. Our seats were on the field, so we were actually sitting right by the second base line. I wish I had some good friends who were Phillies fans to rub in their faces, but I guess that will have to wait til another day. I just couldn't get over how hard these old men rocked. I don't have that much energy or talent now, and I feel like that prime of my life is slipping away...maybe I should get on that. Or maybe I should just follow them around the rest of their tour this fall.

Seeing my brother was a blast--and a great opportunity to rub in that he'll be 30 in just six short days haha--him & I can always manage to get in just enough trouble when we're together. I love our relationship as we've gotten older and are really becoming friends. Despite getting to hear more and more of his war stories from college & beyond, it's great to have him in my corner. Our family has always been close, but Tim & I were usually on the opposite ends of the spectrum it felt like. As we've gotten older, that distance has shrunken considerably and it is so wonderful. It's nice to know that I'm not the only Hurley with a drinking problem :)

Traffic coming back to Boston today was also a hooker and a half...exacerbated by another monsoon type rain storm but after eight hours in the car (a trip that should have been five and some change according to google maps) I finally made it back and after snuggling Rubes for a few minutes, haven't really left the couch since. I'm so phsyched to get into my bed and pretend I don't have to go to work tomorrow and deal with the shit storm that has been brewing over the last week...ahh the dillusion that always awaits you on a Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment